Garden Grove police announced Thursday that a two-day joint operation targeting organized EBT fraud connected to transnational criminal organizations resulted in seven arrests, including one suspect facing 45 felony counts.
The operation involved the Garden Grove Police Department, the Orange County District Attorney's Office, San Bernardino County Social Services Special Investigations Unit, and other allied agencies.
Among the targets was Andrei Nicolae, 18, who was arrested April 2 after the Orange County District Attorney's Office issued a warrant for his arrest on March 31. The DA's office charged Nicolae with 45 felony counts related to theft of government benefits.
Six additional individuals were arrested over the course of the operation on suspicion of involvement in organized retail theft, fraud, and theft of government benefits.
Two of those arrested had multiple out-of-state extraditable felony warrants and are believed to be connected to residential burglaries in the area. A third individual was found in possession of more than $5,000 worth of stolen retail merchandise.
Investigators said they are withholding additional details to protect the integrity of the ongoing investigations.
Agencies push back on public benefits fraud
The Garden Grove Police Department said the operation reflects a broader commitment to protecting public assistance programs from criminal exploitation.
"With rampant fraud being brought to light throughout the country, the Garden Grove Police Department, Orange County DA's office, and cooperating agencies want to make it clear that we are committed to protecting public assistance programs and the individuals who rely on them," the department said in a statement. "Theft from these programs will not be tolerated."
EBT, or Electronic Benefits Transfer, is the system used to distribute government food and cash assistance to eligible residents. Organized fraud rings have targeted the program through skimming devices and other schemes that drain benefits from legitimate recipients.
DA Todd Spitzer's office issued the arrest warrant for Nicolae — the operation's primary target — just two days before his arrest, suggesting the investigation had been building for some time before Thursday's sweep.
No further charges or suspect information are expected to be released while investigations remain active.
